The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 280 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
About the role
ECF is currently accepting applications for an experienced communications specialist to work as the strategic communications country lead for Turkey within an international network of communications professionals in the field of climate and energy, working alongside ECF.
The role offers a unique opportunity for an individual with a sincere interest in politics and climate issues to work with a talented team and play an active role in helping speed up the low carbon transition in Turkey as well as on a global level.
Team members deliver strategic advice, communications and outreach support to partners and work as part of a global network of communications experts to enhance the public debate on climate change and its solutions on a broader level. The work will involve maintaining trusted relationships with key journalists and stakeholders in Turkey.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and highly driven communications professional with the ambition to make a difference and play an active role in speeding up the low carbon transition and helping to avoid the worst impacts of global climate change.
This role would suit someone with a background in communications, campaigning, journalism or public affairs. If you think this sounds like you, please apply!
The Senior Associate, Strategic Communications, Turkey, will be responsible for:
- Working hand-in-hand with an international network of communications experts who seek to advance the momentum of the low carbon transition;
- Supporting strategic communications work, which aim to boost national climate action across traditional and digital media spheres in Turkey;
- Developing and maintaining trusted relationships with key correspondents and editors across mainstream and specialist media in Turkey;
- Shaping, writing, pitching and amplifying newsworthy contents in line with the communications objectives for projects; monitoring impact and outcomes;
- Ensuring communications outputs such as press releases, op-eds and social media content are of highest quality and standard and provide capacity building for partners in the field;
- Producing, executing and providing guidance on digital outreach campaigns in collaboration with colleagues and partners;
- Closely following the political and media debates in Turkey to identify opportunities for engagement and acting as a source for information for colleagues and partners;
- Supporting co-development and implementation of communication strategies with ECF colleagues and partners.
Experience and competencies
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the organisation;
- A good understanding of communication issues related to climate and energy;
- Around 5 years of professional communications or campaigning experience;
- Proven track record in design and implementation of energy, climate and sustainability related campaigns;
- Familiarity with the Turkish media landscape (existing media contacts desirable);
- A strong understanding of the processes and dynamics of policymaking and politics in Turkey;
- Outstanding Turkish language skills, with proven skills to produce engaging and impactful communications material;
- The ability to work as part of a team, to foster fruitful relationships and to collaborate with stakeholders internally and externally;
- The ability to communicate effectively with minimal guidance;
- The disposition to work with colleagues in a high trust international community of peers with a spirit of generosity and mutual support;
- Versatile and adaptable skills necessary to flourish in a fast-paced and wide- ranging work environment and work across phone/video conferencing, time zones, Slack, email, Trello, etc.;
- A commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to facing climate change.
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time position with a 12-months fixed term employment contract (with possibility to extend).
Istanbul, Turkey. Due to government restrictions in light of Covid-19, homeworking may be requested.
As soon as possible
How to apply
Please upload here below in English:
- Short cover letter expressing your motivation for this role.
Candidates need to be in the possession of a work permit for the work location, if applicable.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.For more information and apply