Job Title: Communication Coordinator Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Start Time: March 2018
Job Description – Communication Coordinator
Ashoka is the largest platform of changemakers worldwide, with nearly 3,500 social entrepreneurs in 80 countries putting their system changing ideas into practice on a global scale. Some renowned social entrepreneurs we support (namely the Ashoka Fellows) include Muhammed Yunus (Grameen), Jimmy Wales (Wikipedia), Tülin Akin (TABİT) and Ercan Tutal (Düşler Akademisi). Ashoka also works with key stakeholders to ensure more children and youth are equipped with necessary skills such as empathy, creativity, team work, critical thinking and leadership to contribute to positive social change. Please see www.ashokaturkiye.org, www.ashoka.org and www.farkyaratansiniflar.org for more
We are looking for an entrepreneurial, bright and dedicated individual with a passion for social entrepreneurship and innovation to join our team in Turkey. The role is a great opportunity to gain expertise and to build a network in the social entrepreneurship fields in Turkey and globally.
To lead, facilitate and support Ashoka Turkey’s communication work in order to raise awareness about social entrepreneurship and changemaking to amplify the impact and reach of Ashoka’s programs and projects and to attract a growing number of supporters to the organization.
What Does Success Look Like in This Job?
- Ashoka Turkey is positioned as the go-to organization for changemakers from social, business and media sectors in Turkey.
- An overarching communication strategy and corporate identity are developed and implemented.
- Each of Ashoka’s program and projects have strategically aligned communication plans, tools and visual identities.
- Ashoka Turkey is producing and distributing cutting-edge content on social entrepreneurship and social innovation.
- Communication tools (websites, monthly newsletters, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Linkedin, Medium accounts) are managed effectively and efficiently.
- Ashoka Turkey is organizing and attending key events that reach and engage key stakeholders in its work.
- A critical mass of opinion leaders, influencers and media representatives are familiarized with Ashoka and support it’s communication activities.
- Ashoka Turkey is constantly innovating and improving its communication work with the latest trends and tools.Main Responsabilities:
Area 1: Communication Strategy Development & Implementation
- Developing an overarching communication strategy for Ashoka Turkey,
- Overseeing the development of a new corporate identity,
- Developing and implementing communication plans for Ashoka programs and projects, coordinating these efforts with any project partners and funders,
- Recruiting and engaging a group of opinion leaders, influencers and media representatives who share Ashoka’s vision and support communication activities,
- Contributing to Ashoka’s communication initiatives on the regional and global levels,
Area 2: Social Media & Traditional Media Relations
- Managing all of Ashoka’s communication tools and producing appropriate text, visual and video content for each medium (websites, monthly newsletters, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Linkedin, Medium accounts)
- Preparing periodic social media account analyses and reports,
- Maintaining a media archive of Ashoka Turkey’s media coverage,
- Working in coordination with Ashoka Turkey’s pro-bono PR and communication partners,
Area 3: Event Organization & Comms
Undertaking the event organization and communication work related to Ashoka’s top annual events (Ashoka Gala, Changemaker Education Conference, Ecosystem Days & International Fellow Talks).
Skills and Experience:
Only candidates having experience in at least 2 of the 3 above work areas will be considered for the position.
- Experience of developing and implementing successful media & communication strategies and campaigns,
- Proven experience in utilizing digital channels for media and communication work,
- Extensive experience in producing a wide range of quality materials and content for social media, as well as printed materials*
- Sound understanding of opinion leader / influencer relations management,
- Experience in organizing successful events including conferences, seminars, roundtables in range of contexts,
- Experience in media & social media monitoring, analysis and reporting,
- Knowledge of Ashoka and interest in, and personal commitment to, social entrepreneurship and social change,
- Fluency in written and spoken English & Turkish.
Minimum 3 to 5 years work experience in media, public relations or civil society (Candidates with more experience / seniority will also be considered for the position and may have the option to pursue the role part-time for 3-4 days a week).
*As Ashoka Turkey does not have an in-house graphic designer, ability to use visual design tools will be an advantage. Otherwise, candidates wil be expected to come up with potential solutions on how to compensate for this expertise.
How to Apply
Applications for this role should be submitted to [email protected] by 18.00 on February 20, 2018.
Applications should include
- CV with contact information for 2 references
- Cover Letter
- Maximum 3 samples of previous communication materials created (such as PowerPoint presentations, newsletters, brochures, social media accounts managed…)
- Maximum 3 examples of previous events/networks managed (with a brief description of the event including time period, purpose, participant profile etc.)
Please beware that Ashoka employee selection process consists of two tiers: local and international. The local process will include interviews with Ashoka Turkey Team and Ashoka Turkey Executive Board Members in February. The international process will kick in within 6 to 9 months into your role and will involve several interviews with international representatives of Ashoka. You will be on a consultant contract during this phase and you will not be granted a permanent position until you have completed the international selection process.
Please note that only those candidates who will be invited for an interview will be notified. If you do not hear from us by February 28, it will mean you will not be considered for the position.
All information received from candidates with their applications and interviews will remain confidential and will not be shared with any third parties.