The WHO Country Office is an integral part of the WHO Regional Office for Europe. Its main role is to facilitate and coordinate all WHO activities at country level. This is done through facilitating the implementation of the Biennial Collaborative Agreement with the country and its corresponding work plan. The WHO Country Office maintains good working relations and ensures a two way flow of information exchange between the country and WHO.
The incumbent works within a team with a considerable degree of independence, ensuring the smooth functioning and continuity of the projects/programmes; receives directions from the supervisor(s) on technical matters; and seeks guidance/information from available sources. Policy matters must be brought to the attention of the supervisor(s).
WHO staff rules and regulations, WHO Manual, EURO Policy and Procedures Handbook Series, PC Manuals, Ad hoc directives from Executive Management, Policy Documents, World Health Assembly, Executive Board, Regional Committee documents and resolutions; Regional Programme Budget; Country Collaborative Programmes and Intercountry Projects.
The incumbent exercises judgement and flexibility in the application of guidelines and selection of administrative course of action. For activities not covered by established guidelines and for ad hoc unforeseen situations the incumbent uses initiative and common sense, drawing from experience. The incumbent may seek guidance for solutions to complicated administrative matters from relevant staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Operations Officer the national UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Ensure efficient, timeliness and qualitative translation
- Review the documents to be translated. Translate Documents (English to Turkish; Turkish to English)
- Ensure i) efficient, timeliness and qualitative translation ii) the usage of proper terminology (English and Turkish based on the nature of documents, accuracy in language and structure iii) confidentiality of translated materials
- Proofread and edit final translated versions
- Provide simultaneous/consecutive/whispered interpretation services during meetings/trainings organized by WHO on various topics;
- Ensure simultaneous translation (with translation booth, headset and necessary system/ equipment) at project related events and workshops
- Perform terminology research to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of all translations
- Be responsible for ensuring quality and accuracy of the entire document before submission
- Travel with WHO staff on their missions to the filed for interpretation and other assistance, as needed
- Respond to queries relating to the area of responsibility;
- Take notes at meetings; takes and transcribes from dictation, recordings and handwritten drafts.
- Perform other duties during as required
Required Skills and Experience
Essential: University degree in Translation, Interpretation from an accredited educational institution. Desirable: Degree in Public Health and Social Sciences.
- Use of standard office software and note-taking;
- Experience in the translation and secretarial field;
- Excellent knowledge of Turkish and English;
- 2 years of experience is required;
- Turkish Nationals only